Wednesday, March 7, 2012

natural disasters.

Sometimes terrible things happen on perfect days. The first warm and sunny day after a punishing winter doesn't care how bad you need some good news, it's just a system of pressure and circumstance. Of science. And sometimes, it is the good news.
 
It never happens like this in the movies, but sometimes you hear your new favorite song on a day cloudy and 42 degrees. Sometimes the salt stains and dirty snow are in various states of melting and soaking into the earth and it's ugly. Maybe we're more open to new favorite songs on the sunny days, but a true gem will shine no matter the conditions outside your window.
 
I was on the bus the first time Tegan and Sara's "Where Does the Good Go?" came on my ipod shuffle. It was crowded on the bus and winter and I didn't want to be going to class, my hands were cold because I forgot my gloves and lord only knows the last time I'd managed to bathe. It was one of the worst moments of my life, hearing that song for the first time with strangers jammed in all around me, not giving a shit that my poor little heart was crumbling. It's still one of my favorite songs.
 
Yeah, maybe we're nothing more than the sum of those little moments that stick to our ribs.
 
Or maybe we are.
 
Who am I to say?
 
Anyway, today is beautiful, so probably nothing terribly significant will happen.
 
Except that my wonderful boyfriend got called out in the middle of the night and so this morning I had a delicious surprise from the bakery down the street waiting for me.
 
I guess that's pretty significant.


No comments:

Post a Comment